Since the 1979 phone call that kicked off the effort that led to the Orphan Drug Act of 1983, to the Hatch-Waxman Act a year later, and the Affordable Care Act in 2010, Chairman Waxman has been an influential leader on issues concerning drug access and affordability. Decades later, our firm still strives to make the pharmaceutical market work for American patients.
Waxman Strategies’ Health Practice specializes in unpacking complex issues, understanding which forces to interrupt those underlying those problems, and communicating those findings accessibly and strategically. This expertise has been key in our seminal work with Arnold Ventures and the Commonwealth Fund: to identify the root causes of and develop policy options to address the high price of prescription drugs in the U.S. This work continues today as we respond to the shifting policy environment and push for comprehensive policy to address drug pricing.
- Convened a diverse group of stakeholders to share strategic insights and new data on drug pricing trends and policies.
- Produced a comprehensive report, Getting to the Root of High Prescription Drug Prices, on the drivers of high prescription drug prices and potential solutions to encourage discussion on how to achieve bipartisan action to address them.
- After release of the report, the Waxman team met with numerous policymakers, stakeholders, and reporters to discuss the report and how to make progress in lowering drug prices.
- The team continues to educate policymakers and stakeholders on the problems and drivers of high drug pricing, provide technical assistance on policy related to high drug prices, and provide strategic counsel on how to move the needle with continued foundation support.
- Henry Waxman and the team are also continually invited to speak on drug prices as policy experts.