Director – Health Team
Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven policy and communications consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Director on our Health Team. We’re excited to be expanding our team and are looking for candidates with experience in government relations, leading policy and advocacy work, and experience with and a commitment to health issues and health equity for this critical role on our team. As a Director in our Health Practice, you will be a critical part of our work to develop, influence, and advocate for health policy on issues ranging from: addressing the rising cost of drug prices and health services; tobacco control; protecting and advancing reproductive health care rights and access; reducing nutrition insecurity; and more.
Who we are:
Recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, former Congressman Henry Waxman leads the firm’s work in the areas of health and the environment. Waxman Strategies uses policy solutions, advocacy, and communications to achieve a healthy world in which people, nature and the common good can flourish.
Our Health Team leverages policy knowledge and experience to provide strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support with federal and state officials and a wide array of stakeholders to our diverse portfolio of clients. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest. A sample of our current health clients include: Arnold Ventures, the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, Commonwealth Fund, Medicines360, the Public Health Institute, West Health, and United States of Care.
As a Director in our Health Practice, you will work closely with our team of experts (practice leadership, directors, and associates), former Congressman Waxman, and our clients to help shape and influence policy around health, one of the most pressing and high profile issues in our country. You will be a leader on the practice’s government relations work and contribute to policy work on behalf of our clients on a variety of the issues we address. You will be a part of a practice and firm that works to ensure diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) are a central part of our work in a meaningful way. Our team recognizes the systemic racism and inherent inequities in our health care system and works every day to advance health equity through dedicated project work.
The Director will not immediately oversee staff but may in the future.
- Playing a lead role in developing and communicating our clients’ policy positions and lobbying members of Congress, congressional staff, other federal policymakers and stakeholders;
- Strengthening the firm’s relationships with Congressional and staff leadership, members of key congressional committees, and legislative champions, as well as relevant Administration offices;
- Implementing systems and processes to coordinate and track policymaker interactions across practice team members;
- Serving as key contact for day-to-day interactions with clients and funders; leading client meetings, including discussions of policy issues and client deliverables; managing meetings and conference calls with our clients;
- Supporting government relations strategy planning to advance client policy goals at all applicable levels of government, incorporating policy development, communications, and stakeholder relations strategies;
- Drafting talking points and policy memos targeted to policymakers on behalf of Waxman Strategies and our clients;
- Tracking federal and state regulatory and legislative activity on the relevant health policy issues;
- Project managing and mentoring other health practice staff;
What we’re ideally looking for in you:
- You have at least five years of work experience, with a background working in a government setting or with nonprofit advocacy organizations or lobbying firms. You have experience lobbying decision-makers.
- You have a proven track record in legislative or regulatory work, including experience figuring out how to move decision makers and supporting advancement of legislation and/or and regulatory policy.
- You have experience working in one or more health policy issues such as health equity, prescription drugs, health care costs, public health, coverage, or other health policy issues;
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively with people with varying levels of expertise on health issues from members of Congress to nonprofit leaders to colleagues.
- You have experience building relationships with health policy stakeholders and policymakers.
- You have an understanding of relevant Congressional and Administrative processes and procedures and skills to influence Congressional and Administration issues and processes.
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including marginalized communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, various religious backgrounds, and more.
- You are passionate about health equity and working on behalf of underserved communities.
- You approach your work with flexibility, initiative, and a willingness pivot as issues arise.
- You have a bachelor’s degree, ideally in public policy, public health, government, political science, or another related field; a master’s degree in a related discipline preferred.
- Experience in client and/or funder relations preferred;
- Experience with Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives preferred;
- A master’s degree in a related discipline is preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- You have experience mentoring and training staff.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position and based in the Washington, D.C. area. We primarily work remotely, but staff have access to the Washington, D.C. office and the role will involve video and in-person meetings on the hill and with allies.
You will report to the Managing Director of our Health Practice and work with the rest of the health team.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $95K to $125K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process.
To apply: Please submit a resume and complete our short application. Please make sure to let us know where you heard about the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Aliya at email@example.com.
Our DEIJ Commitment: Waxman Strategies conducts our work with the understanding that diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) values are central to our mission, our culture, our success and our impact. With the knowledge of this country’s historically unjust economic and social systems in mind, our organization tries to maintain a workplace environment that embraces the diverse backgrounds and identities of our team, partners and clients.
We strive to make decisions transparently and inclusively, working to eliminate barriers so that all present and future Waxman Strategies staff – particularly those with traditionally excluded identities – have equitable, comprehensive access to resources, opportunities for leadership, and oversight of day-to-day activities.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.