Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven policy and communications consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Director in our Health Practice. We’re looking for talented candidates with experience in advancing policy, a strong commitment to health issues and health equity, and strong project management skills. As a Director in our Health Practice, you will be a critical part of our work to develop, influence, and advocate for health policy on issues ranging from: addressing the rising cost of drug prices and health services; improving health plan quality and regulation, protecting and expanding access to coverage and care for underserved populations, including low-income communities and communities of color; and protecting women’s health.
Who we are:
Recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, former Congressman Henry Waxman leads the firm’s work in the areas of health, the environment, and technology. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest.
Our Health Team uses its strategic policy knowledge and experience to provide strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support with federal and state officials and a wide array of stakeholders to our diverse portfolio of clients. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest. A sample of our current health clients include: Arnold Ventures, West Health, United States of Care, the Center for American Progress, the California Health Care Foundation, the California Association of Public Hospitals, and the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids.
Background on the position:
As one of the Directors in our Health Practice, you will work closely with our team of experts (practice leadership, directors, and associates), former Congressman Waxman, our CEO, and our clients to shape and advance policy around health issues, one of the most pressing and high profile issues in our country. You will bring creativity and smarts to our work with our clients, and help organizations achieve policy change in spaces like health equity and health care affordability. You will be a part of a practice and firm that works to ensure DEIJ practices are a central part of our work in a meaningful way. Our team recognizes the systemic racism and inherent inequities in our health care system and works every day to advance health equity through dedicated project work.
Please note: The Director will not immediately oversee staff but could in the future.
- Supporting strategy planning to advance client policy goals at all applicable levels of government, including policy development, government relations, communications, and stakeholder relations strategies;
- Helping to develop and communicate our clients’ policy positions to members of Congress, congressional staff, other federal policymakers and stakeholders; and state leaders when applicable;
- Developing and managing annual work plans to ensure timely, high-quality execution of tactics and deliverables to advance client policy goals;
- Project managing deliverables, including development of project plans and management of project teams;
- Organizing, participating in, and presenting to roundtables of health policy stakeholders;
- Serve as key contact for day-to-day interactions with clients and funders; leading client meetings, including discussions of policy issues and client deliverables; managing meetings and conference calls with our clients;
- Drafting policy memos, policy proposal analysis, and other policy documents on behalf of Waxman Strategies and our clients; Compiling and analyzing policy research to support client and Health Practice priorities and to build policy recommendations;
- Tracking federal and state regulatory and legislative activity on the relevant health policy issues;
- Providing communications support to relevant health care projects in conjunction with communications staff;
- Conducting background research and identifying opportunities for business development.
- Mentoring other health practice staff;
Who you are:
- You have a minimum of five years of professional work experience, with a background in government or nonprofit advocacy.
- You have a bachelor’s degree, ideally in public policy, public health, government, political science, or another related field.
- You have a proven track record in legislative or regulatory work, including experience figuring out how to move decision makers and supporting advancement of legislation and/or and regulatory policy.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively with people with varying levels of expertise on health issues from members of Congress to nonprofit leaders to colleagues.
- You have experience working in one or more health policy issues such as health equity, prescription drugs, health costs, coverage, or other health policy issues;
- You have experience in project management, project planning, and/or campaign planning;
- You have strong organizational skills, including advanced MS office skills. You can multitask effectively without sacrifice to quality.
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including marginalized communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ community, various religious backgrounds, and more.
- You approach your work with flexibility, initiative, and a willingness pivot as issues arise.
- Experience in client and/or funder relations preferred;
- Experience with Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives preferred;
- A master’s degree in a related discipline is preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position and we have a strong preference for candidates based in the Washington, D.C. area. We will consider candidates who are based in the US, with a preference for candidates on the east coast. However, during the coronavirus pandemic, our D.C. area-based staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. Candidates who are based in non-EST time zones need to be willing to work east coast business hours.
You will report to the Vice President of our Health Practice and work with the rest of the health team.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $76K to $95K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process.
To apply: Please click on the “to apply” button and submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Aliya at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our DEIJ Commitment: Waxman Strategies conducts our work with the understanding that diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) values are central to our mission, our culture, our success and our impact. With the knowledge of this country’s historically unjust economic and social systems in mind, our organization tries to maintain a workplace environment that embraces the diverse backgrounds and identities of our team, partners and clients.
We strive to make decisions transparently and inclusively, working to eliminate barriers so that all present and future Waxman Strategies staff – particularly those with traditionally excluded identities – have equitable, comprehensive access to resources, opportunities for leadership, and oversight of day-to-day activities.
Equal Opportunity Statement: Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.All Careers