Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven policy and communications consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Vice President in our Health Practice. We’re looking to fill this key leadership role with a candidate who brings experience in management, legislative and regulatory policy work, and a strong commitment to health issues. With the incoming Biden administration and new leadership at the federal level, the time for much-needed progress on some of the most pressing issues of our time is now. As a Vice President in our Health Practice, you will be at the center of it all, working to address the rising cost of health care, protect and expand access to care for vulnerable populations, promote and improve health equity, protect women’s health, and advance strong public health and prevention policies around issues like tobacco control and nutrition policy.
Who we are:
Recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, former Congressman Henry Waxman leads the firm’s work in the areas of health, the environment, and technology. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies, advance causes and build movements around the world.
Our Health Team uses its policy knowledge and experience to provide strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support to our diverse portfolio of clients. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest. Our current health clients include: Medicines360, Tara Health Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, West Health, National Association of Community Health Centers, 340B Health, the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation, and Arnold Ventures.
As a Vice President in our Health Practice, you will partner closely with our health team’s Managing Director, former Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services Bill Corr and former Congressman Henry Waxman to help lead our team of experts and work directly with our clients to shape and influence policy around health issues, one of the most pressing and high-profile issues in our country.
- Providing strategic direction and leadership to our Health’s Practice’s goals and objectives.
- Developing and communicating our clients’ policy positions and lobbying members of Congress, congressional staff, other federal policymakers, and stakeholders.
- Ensuring that Waxman Strategies has strong relationships with Congressional staff and leadership, members of key congressional committees, and legislative champions.
- Managing and training at least one member of the health team staff; recruiting and hiring additional staff as needed.
Project managing deliverables and directly supporting multiple clients.
- Reviewing and analyzing policy research to support the Health Practice and our clients.
- Editing and reviewing policy memos, policy proposal analysis, regulatory comments, and other policy documents on behalf of Waxman Strategies and our clients.
- Managing meetings and conference calls with our clients; planning and facilitating larger meetings such as convenings or roundtables.
- Actively identifying potential new clients and conducting background research for business development.
Performing other duties as needed to help meet Waxman Strategies’ priorities and goals.
Who you are:
- You have a minimum of ten years of professional work experience, including a background in health policy and federal legislative experience.
- You have experience recruiting, managing, and mentoring staff.
- You have a proven track record in legislative or regulatory work. You have experience figuring out how to move decision makers.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively with people with varying levels of expertise on health issues, from members of Congress to nonprofit leaders to colleagues.
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including marginalized communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ community, various religious backgrounds, and more.
- You are passionate about health equity and working on behalf of underserved communities. You have experience on health policy issues and are interested in continuing to deepen your expertise.
- You have flexibility, can take initiative, and a willingness to learn as issues arise.
- You have excellent project management and organizational skills.
- You have a bachelor’s degree, ideally in public policy, public health, government, political science, or another related field; a master’s degree in a related discipline preferred.
A master’s degree in a related discipline preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including former Obama administration staff, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. However, during the pandemic, our staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. You will report to and partner closely with the Managing Director of our Health Practice.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $126K to $160K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan. We offer a supportive and collaborative work setting with full-time working hours (and flexibility as needed for working parents and other personal demands), a beautiful new office space, and a talented, driven, passionate, and fun team working alongside you.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the coronavirus pandemic.
To apply: Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Aliya at [email protected]
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.