Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for our Senior Operations Manager opening. We’re looking for talented candidates to manage the office, operation systems, and IT while also providing support for our CEO, accounting, and human resources team. As a Senior Operations Manager, you will be a critical part of our mission-driven work to address health equity and outcomes for vulnerable populations, securing a sustainable future, and fostering bold innovation.
Who We Are:
Former Congressman Henry Waxman, who was recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, leads the firm’s work in the areas of health, the environment, and technology. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies, advance causes and build movements around the world. Our team uses its policy knowledge and experience to provide strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support to our diverse portfolio of clients. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest. Some of our current clients include: Planned Parenthood Federation of America,, West Health, National Association of Community Health Centers, the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, ClimateWorks Foundation, Electrify America, Clean Air Task Force, Cruise, Bioenergy DevCo, The Energy Foundation, and Arcus Foundation.
As Senior Operations Manager, you will work with our operations team and leadership to continue to strengthen our operations systems and infrastructure which are so critical to our firm’s policy, advocacy, and communications work and success.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing our office, including: maintaining security systems, overseeing supply orders, managing mail and deliveries, and managing relationships with property management and vendors. Managing the inventory and maintenance of the kitchen, welcoming visitors, and playing a leading role in the return to the office planning.
- Overseeing IT, ensuring all staff have the equipment they need and keeping track of equipment inventory. Troubleshooting tech issues and coordinating closely with our outside IT vendors on more challenging issues.
- Maintaining the firm’s website with basic updates and coordinating closely with an outside developer on larger projects, updating SharePoint site for finance, compliance and HR.
- Supporting our People and HR work, including facilitating onboarding and offboarding processes, handling benefits administration and COBRA, and supporting special projects and our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice initiatives.
- Supporting our finance and compliance team, including assisting with payroll preparation, helping track sick leave, leading state business registrations, workers compensation audits, unemployment/employment verification requests, and coordinating credit card processing and managing Expensify. Reviewing contracts and managing the signature process.
- Playing a support role to our CEO and firm leadership when needed, including: supporting scheduling, interfacing with consultants, coordinating surveys, and supporting key correspondence.
- Coordinating and executing staff celebrations and social events.
- Assuming other responsibilities as needed.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have at least three years of professional work experience, including a background in operations and administrative work;
- You have strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and projects;
- You have strong verbal and written communications skills, can work effectively with senior staff in a professional, positive, and can-do manner;
- You are a problem solver, proactive, and self-directed. You are flexible, are comfortable working independently, and taking on new challenges with minimal supervision;
- You have a commitment to working for a better and more just world;
- You have experience with and a commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including different ethnic, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds and the LGBTQ+ community;
- You can get up to speed quickly on new programs and technology as needed. We use Microsoft Office, Expensify, Harvest, Basecamp, and QuickBooks, among others;
- You have strong time-management skills and can meet deadlines.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working in a mission-driven setting
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. However, during the coronavirus pandemic, our staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. You will report to our Senior Director of People and Culture and work closely with our Senior Director of Finance and Compliance, CEO, and our leadership team.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $56K to $75K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan. We offer a supportive and collaborative work setting with full-time working hours (and flexibility as needed for working parents and other personal demands), a beautiful new office space, and a talented, driven, passionate, and fun team working alongside you.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the coronavirus pandemic.
To apply: Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Aliya at email@example.com.
Our DEIJ Commitment: Waxman Strategies is a firm that cares deeply about protecting our environment, improving health access and outcomes, and advancing technology in the public interest. We conduct our work with the understanding that diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) values are central to our mission, our culture, our success and our impact.
With the knowledge of this country’s historically unjust economic and social systems in mind, our organization tries to maintain a workplace environment that embraces the diverse* backgrounds and identities of our team, partners and clients.
We strive to make decisions transparently and inclusively, working to eliminate barriers so that all present and future Waxman Strategies staff — particularly those with traditionally excluded identities — have equitable, comprehensive, access to resources, opportunities for leadership, and oversight of day-to-day activities.
*Including differing race, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, tribe, caste, socio-economic status, thinking, communication style, etc.
Equal Opportunity Statement: Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.All Careers