Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven policy and communications consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Senior Director in our Health Practice. As a Senior Director, you will be a critical part of our work to develop and influence health policy on issues ranging from: addressing the rising cost of health care; protecting and expanding access to care for vulnerable populations, including low-income communities and communities of color; promoting and improving health equity; protecting women’s health, and working for strong public health and prevention policies around issues like tobacco control and nutrition policy. With the incoming Biden administration and leadership at the federal level, our next Senior Director will play a critical role in urgently needed progress to ensure all people and communities can thrive and be healthy.
Who we are:
Recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, former Congressman Henry Waxman leads the firm’s work in the areas of health, the environment, and technology. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies, advance causes and build movements around the world.
Our Health Team uses its policy knowledge and experience to provide strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support to our diverse portfolio of clients. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest. Our current health clients include: Medicines360, Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the Commonwealth Fund, West Health, National Association of Community Health Centers, 340B Health, the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids, and Arnold Ventures.
As one of the Senior Directors in our Health Practice, you will work closely with our team of experts (practice leadership, directors, and associates), our health team’s Managing Director, former Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services Bill Corr, former Congressman Waxman, and our clients to shape and influence policy around health issues, one of the most pressing and high-profile issues in our country. You will play a lead role in the policy work and lobbying on behalf of our clients and provide policy research and administrative support to the practice on a variety of the issues we address. The ideal candidate will combine previous legislative or regulatory experience with an aptitude for research and analysis, as well as strong communications skills. The Senior Director will not immediately oversee staff but may in the future.
- Playing a lead role in developing and communicating our clients’ policy positions and lobbying members of Congress, congressional staff, other federal policymakers, and stakeholders; strengthening the firm’s relationships with Congressional and staff leadership, members of key congressional committees, and legislative champions.
- Managing relationships with two or more clients, project managing deliverables and providing direct support to our clients.
- Gathering, reviewing, analyzing, and compiling policy research to support the Health Practice and our clients.
- Drafting policy memos, policy proposal analysis, regulatory comments, and other policy documents on behalf of Waxman Strategies and our clients.
- Managing meetings and conference calls with our clients.
- Providing communications support to relevant health care projects.
- Actively identifying potential new clients and conducting background research for business development.
- Performing other duties as needed to help meet Waxman Strategies’ priorities and goals.
Who you are:
- You have a minimum of eight years of professional work experience, with a background in government or nonprofit advocacy.
- You have experience in legislative or regulatory work. You have experience figuring out how to move decision makers.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively with people with varying levels of expertise on health issues from members of Congress to nonprofit leaders to colleagues.
- You have strong organizational skills, including advanced MS office skills. You can multitask effectively without sacrifice to quality.
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including marginalized communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ community, various religious backgrounds, and more.
- You are passionate about health equity and working on behalf of underserved communities.
- You are passionate about health policy issues and have an interest in developing expertise in the field.
- You can work independently and as part of a team.
- You approach your work with flexibility, initiative, and a willingness pivot as issues arise.
- You have a bachelor’s degree, ideally in public policy, public health, government, political science, or another related field; a master’s degree in a related discipline preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. However, during the coronavirus pandemic, our staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority, and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. You will report to the Managing Director of our Health Practice and work with the rest of the health team.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $96K to $125K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the pandemic.
To apply: Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Aliya at [email protected]
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.All Careers