Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven communications and policy consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Senior Director to work on cutting edge policy-making focused on environmental health, equity, and solving the climate crisis. We’re looking for talented candidates who are passionate about working for progress on climate change.
Who We Are:
Former Congressman Henry Waxman, who was recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, leads the firm’s work. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies, accelerate technology startups and products working in the public interest, advance causes, and build movements around the world.
In our Environment Practice, you will be working at the center of real-time policy development and implementation to protect our environment and those communities most impacted by pollution and climate change. We work with leading NGOs and clean energy technology providers to develop and implement pragmatic policy solutions on a range of important issues including electrifying our vehicles and homes, pursuing environmental justice, regulating and cleaning up toxic pollutants, removing carbon from the atmosphere, and curtailing deforestation.
More on the position:
We are looking for a new Senior Director for our Environmental Policy Practice who is an experienced policymaker with substantive experience and expertise in addressing climate change. The Senior Director will work with the Managing Director and Vice President of the Environmental Policy Practice to promote equitable and effective climate solutions at the federal level. This work will include lobbying, and would ideally include thought leadership and the development of new proposals and tools to address the climate crisis. The Senior Director will not immediately oversee staff but will manage other staff in the practice on projects.
- Playing a lead role in developing and communicating our clients’ policy positions and lobbying members of Congress, congressional staff, other federal policymakers and stakeholders; Strengthening the firm’s relationships with Congressional and Agency staff, members of key congressional committees, and legislative champions.
- Managing relationships with two or more clients, project managing deliverables and providing direct support to our clients;
- Helping to develop and communicate our clients’ policy positions to members of Congress, congressional staff, other federal policymakers and stakeholders;
- Gathering, reviewing, analyzing, and compiling policy research to support the Environment Policy Practice and our clients;
- Engaging and deepening relationships with NGOs, academics, Congressional staff, labor leaders, and industries who are key to advancing our goals;
- Drafting policy memos, policy proposal analysis, regulatory comments, and other policy documents on behalf of Waxman Strategies and our clients;
- Managing meetings and conference calls with our clients;
- Actively identifying potential new projects and clients;
- Performing other duties as needed to help meet Waxman Strategies’ priorities and goals.
- Mentoring other environment policy practice staff and overseeing Associates in the practice on projects;
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least eight years of work experience, including three years of experience in congress, federal agency, or with nonprofit advocacy organizations.
- A masters or other advanced degree in environmental management or public policy;
- Relationships with environmental stakeholders and policymakers;
- Prior work experience consulting or in-house with energy or environmental stakeholders.
- A commitment to working for a better and just world, with strong interest in environmental issues, especially climate and clean energy policy and other related issues.
- A commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including marginalized communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, various religious backgrounds, and more.
Additional preferred qualifications:
- A background working at a relevant congressional committee.
- Experience interacting directly with policymakers and/or congressional staff.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, technology companies, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in the Washington, D.C. area. You will report to the Managing Director of the Environment Policy Practice. During the pandemic, our staff are mostly still working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. Continued remote work will be an option for this position.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $96-125K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
To apply: Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Please apply as soon as possible.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the pandemic.
Our DEIJ Commitment: Waxman Strategies is a firm that cares deeply about protecting our environment, improving health access and outcomes, and advancing technology in the public interest. We conduct our work with the understanding that diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) values are central to our mission, our culture, our success and our impact.
With the knowledge of this country’s historically unjust economic and social systems in mind, our organization tries to maintain a workplace environment that embraces the diverse* backgrounds and identities of our team, partners and clients.
*Including differing race, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, tribe, caste, socio-economic status, thinking, communication style, etc.
Equal Opportunity Statement: Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.