Waxman Strategies is accepting applications for an Environmental Advocacy Consultant – Indonesia. We are seeking candidates who are passionate about protecting the environment and human rights with experience in political work. As our Environmental Advocacy Consultant, you will lead our advocacy and government relations work to protect Indonesia’s forests, wildlife, and Indigenous communities. If you are passionate about helping to transform agribusiness – including palm, pulp, paper, and rubber – to an environmentally sustainable footing that balances their economic value with protection for Indonesia’s forest cover and diversity, please read on.
Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven consulting firm, uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to help shape policies, advance causes, and build movements around the world. We are proud to work closely with partners in Indonesia to help protect Indonesia’s forests and natural resources. Globally, we have played a leading role in campaigns that have secured strong forest and human rights protection policies from the world’s largest palm oil, rubber, chocolate, and other commodity agriculture companies.
Waxman Strategies is dedicated to preserving Indonesia’s remaining rainforests and primary forest cover, the world’s largest after the Amazon and Africa’s Congo Basin. Waxman campaigns for environmentally sustainable agribusiness that protects forests, biodiversity and the rights and livelihoods of the millions of indigenous peoples who rely on them. Our priorities in Indonesia include:
- Building support for government action to protect Indonesia’s environment and Indigenous Peoples and challenge rollbacks of environmental protections.
- Collaborating with civil society organizations to help maximize their knowledge, skills, and impact while ensuring access for local communities to provide input into government and corporate decision-making that affects them.
- Ensuring private sector companies protect forests, peatlands, wildlife, and the rights and livelihoods of local communities.
- Challenging environmentally destructive infrastructure projects, and channeling investment toward more sustainable development strategies such as sustainable agriculture and clean energy.
- Advocacy with senior Government officials in relevant ministries and agencies.
- Strengthening and expanding Waxman’s partnerships with relevant Indonesian civil society organizations and collaborating on support and training opportunities as well as development of government advocacy capacity.
- Engaging with CEOs and Senior Executives of private sector companies — in palm oil, timber, rubber, cocoa, and other agriculture and extractive industries — to persuade them to adopt practices which protect forests, peatlands, wildlife, and local communities.
- Regularly coordinating with Waxman staff and providing strategic advice on the direction of our campaign work in Indonesia.
- Serving as a campaign spokesperson and representative in the region, including conducting media interviews, participating in press events, attending local conferences, meetings, and events, and writing relevant op-eds, blog posts, social media posts, etc.
Who You Are:
- You have at least five years of experience in advocacy and communications work focused on influencing decision-makers in Government and/or the private sector.
- You are passionate about environmental and social justice issues such as climate change, protecting tropical rainforests, securing Indigenous community rights, stopping human rights abuses, and advancing clean energy.
- You have a network of contacts in multiple levels of the Indonesian Government and Indonesian civil society organizations.
- You have strong verbal and written persuasive communication skills.
- You enjoy building relationships and spending time talking with people in a variety of roles and from different backgrounds, ideally including with government officials, civil society advocates, journalists, company executives, and others.
- You have experience developing campaign strategy.
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including economically marginalized communities and religious minorities.
- You are fluent in Bahasa Indonesia and fluent or proficient in English.
Details: Candidates must be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. The role will involve regular travel within Indonesia when it is safe to do so.
How to Apply: Position available for immediate hire. Please click the apply button below and submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which speaks to our mission. Also, please let us know where you heard about the job.
Compensation: Compensation is highly competitive, and we can discuss your rates and expectations for compensation early in the interview process.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.All Careers