Please note: We have closed the application period for this position. Thank you for your interest in Waxman Strategies and please visit our careers page for additional openings.
Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven communications and policy consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for an Associate to support the communications work across our Technology, Environment and Health practices, and advance our growing list of clients’ business and go-to-market goals. We’re looking for a talented candidate with strong research, data and market analytics, and communications experience who can support our critical work to address health equity and improve outcomes for vulnerable populations, secure a sustainable future, and foster bold innovation.
Who We Are:
Former Congressman Henry Waxman, who President Obama recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era”, leads the firm’s work. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies, accelerate new technologies in the public interest, advance causes, and build movements around the world. Our Technology Practice serves a range of clients advancing innovative market-based solutions, including startups, investors, accelerators/incubators and associations, foundations, and non-profit organizations with a focus on health tech and climate tech sectors. Our Health Practice develops and influences policy on issues ranging from lowering health care costs, expanding access to care for vulnerable populations, including low-income communities and communities of color, protecting women’s health, and working for strong public health and prevention policies. Our Environment Practice works to protect tropical forests and the Indigenous communities who depend on them, to protect our oceans, and to fight climate change.
More on the position:
We are looking for a talented and highly organized Associate who can conduct strategic research, develop, and run methodologies for data analysis, write and edit analytical reports, ideate on client deliverables, build relationships with clients, and manage and keep our client engagements on track.
- Working on strategic business research activities primarily focused on clients in the Technology practice.
- Writing and editing a variety of materials, both internal and external, including political and business analysis, market analysis, strategic data mapping exercises, client strategies, analytical reports, thought leadership materials, op-eds, blog posts and more.
- Supporting client service, keeping track of deliverables, external engagement, and organizing after-action.
- Leading strategic research for clients, such as researching industry sectors, markets, and coverage.
- Supporting events and promotions for clients.
- Engaging in media and marketing efforts to help build the firm’s brand and reach.
- Working with staff to manage resources and effectively coordinate work to meet or exceed agreed upon metrics.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have experience handling data-driven projects.
- You have direct client service experience.
- You have strong project management and can take projects and initiatives from concept to execution on a deadline and budget.
- You have excellent written and oral communications skills, honed organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple clients and deadlines simultaneously.
- You have experience supporting issue or campaign promotions.
- You are proactive, self-directed, and a problem solver.
- You have a commitment to working for a better and more just world.
- You have experience with and a commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including different ethnic, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds and the LGBTQ+ community.
- You have a bachelor’s degree.
- You are passionate about emerging technologies and their potential to change the world.
- You have a background or interest in U.S. and global environment, climate, energy, health, and social justice issues.
- You have an international orientation and ideally have experience working with international campaign teams and colleagues.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, technology companies, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. However, during the pandemic, our staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. You will report to the Vice President of the Technology Practice.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $50K to $55K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the pandemic.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.All Careers