Waxman Strategies, a mission-driven policy and communications consulting firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for an Associate in our Health Practice. We’re looking for a talented candidate to contribute to policy development and legislative research and deliverables such as reports and presentations. Your day-to-day will include organizing client and internal meetings, researching and reporting on policy topics, gathering intel about developments in Congress on areas of focus for the practice and our clients, and providing other critical support where needed. As an Associate in our Health Practice, you will be a critical part of our work to develop and influence health policy on issues ranging from: addressing the rising cost of health care; protecting and expanding access to care for marginalized populations, including low-income communities and communities of color; protecting women’s health, and working for strong public health and prevention policies around issues like tobacco control and nutrition policy.
Who We Are:
Recognized as “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama, former Congressman Henry Waxman leads the firm’s work in the areas of health, the environment, and technology. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications, and campaigns to shape policies. Building on a powerful legacy, we are driven by an uncompromising commitment to create and sustain change in the public interest.
Our Health Team uses its strategic policy knowledge and experience to provide strategic counsel, issue analysis and policy development, and engagement support with federal and state officials and a wide array of stakeholders to our diverse portfolio of clients. A sample of our current health clients include: Arnold Ventures, West Health, United States of Care, the Center for American Progress, the California Health Care Foundation, the California Association of Public Hospitals, and the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids.
Background on the position:
As an Associate in our Health Practice, you will work closely with our team of experts (practice leadership, directors, and fellow associates), former Congressman Waxman, our CEO, and our clients to shape and advance policy around health issues, one of the most pressing and high profile issues in our country.The ideal candidate will have excellent problem-solving and project management abilities, as well as research, analytical, operations, and communication skills. As part of the Health Team, you will work on a range of health policy issues.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing prep for meetings, including coordinating schedules across internal and external calendars, booking virtual or in-person conference rooms and equipment, communicating with participants, and preparing agendas and materials;
- Participating in client meetings and conference calls, taking notes and synthesizing key takeaways;
- Preparing and compiling professional correspondence, presentations, and reports as needed;
- Gathering, reviewing, analyzing, and compiling policy research to support the Health Practice and our clients;
- Tracking regulatory and legislative activity on health policy issues, which may include federal and state-level tracking;
- Synthesizing the latest news relevant to health policy and providing daily clips to the Health Practice and our clients;
- Contributing written material to reports, memos, blogs or other content;
- Preparing research and creating slides for presentations;
- Conducting background research for business development.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have at least one year of professional work experience, ideally including a background in policy, legislative, political, and/or public health or health care work.
- You are detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills, with an eye for accuracy;
- You have strong communication, interpersonal, and writing skills;
- You have a strong interest in health issues and are excited to deepen your expertise in health policy issues;
- You can exercise discretion and handle confidential information;
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including marginalized communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, various religious backgrounds, and more;
- You are adept with technology, especially Advanced Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. You can get up to speed with new technologies quickly.
- You can multitask effectively without sacrificing quality;
- You can work independently and as part of a team;
- You have the flexibility, initiative, and a willingness to learn as new challenges arise.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in public policy, public health, government, political science, or other related fields.
More about our team: The firm is made up of people from various backgrounds, including federal agencies, nonprofit advocacy groups, health agencies, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Details: This is a full-time position and based in the Washington, D.C. area. However, during the coronavirus pandemic, our D.C. area-based staff are working from home but have access to the office. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
You will report to the Vice President of our Health Practice and work with the rest of the health team.
Compensation and benefits: The salary range for this position is $50K to $55K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the pandemic.
To apply: Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Aliya at email@example.com.
Our DEIJ Commitment: Waxman Strategies conducts our work with the understanding that diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) values are central to our mission, our culture, our success and our impact. With the knowledge of this country’s historically unjust economic and social systems in mind, our organization tries to maintain a workplace environment that embraces the diverse backgrounds and identities of our team, partners and clients.
We strive to make decisions transparently and inclusively, working to eliminate barriers so that all present and future Waxman Strategies staff – particularly those with traditionally excluded identities – have equitable, comprehensive access to resources, opportunities for leadership, and oversight of day-to-day activities.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.