Waxman Strategies is recruiting a Director of Communications to guide the media relations, campaign communications strategy and content development for the firm’s environment team. Our environment team focuses on issues like protecting tropical rainforests, agricultural sustainability, and climate change and is globally renowned for driving top national and international media coverage of environmental issues. The Director of Communications will be largely working on our major client, Mighty Earth, which runs campaigns to stop deforestation, transform agriculture, and shift whole industries to 100% clean energy. Other clients include Sierra Club, the Arcus Foundation, National Wildlife Federation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Rainforest Foundation Norway, FoodShot, and more.
- Media Relations: Cultivate and manage relationships with domestic and international reporters and oversee and implement media relations pushes. We have built a globally leading practice by driving international media coverage in the areas we work in including Europe, Africa, Indonesia and Latin America.
- Communications Planning & Message Development: Work closely with Waxman’s Campaign Directors to develop comprehensive and strategic campaign communications plans and messaging, as well as specific, creative communications tactics around campaign launches, report releases, rapid response, and campaign branding/positioning. This individual will also assist Campaign Directors with planning and executing live events as appropriate, e.g. grassroots actions, social media events, etc.
- Writing & Editing: Write and edit a variety of communications materials, both internal and external, including press releases, reporter pitches, blog posts, talking points and campaign media plans. Work with Campaign Directors to guide the design and production of collateral materials and multimedia assets, including reports, videos, infographics, leave-behinds and live event props and related collateral.
- Team Management: Manage environmental communications staff at various levels; work with Waxman’s Communications and Campaign team leaders to ensure that staff time is allocated efficiently; and oversee the work of outside vendors and consultants.
- Team Player: This role may include some support of Waxman Strategies’ health and technology practice areas with communications and public relations strategy and planning as needed.
The Director of Communications, Environment will report to the Senior Vice President of Communications. The position is located in Washington DC.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 7+ years of experience in media relations and communications strategy, with preference for communications experience at a public affairs/PR agency
- Existing relationships with US and international media and a desire to cultivate and manage relationships with reporters on an ongoing basis
- A background or interest in U.S. and global environmental, climate and energy issues
- Ability to get up to speed quickly on complex issues, respond to news as it happens, and manage multiple simultaneous projects with many moving pieces
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent collaboration and independent-work skills
- Experience managing a rapidly growing team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail and a constant desire to excel
- Facility synthesizing complex topics into engaging and creative communications
- Experience working directly with clients
Competitive and commensurate with experience; includes a generous benefits package.
Click here to apply.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
About Waxman Strategies:
Waxman Strategies is a public interest policy, communications, and campaigns firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, named “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama. Now out of Congress, Henry heads Waxman’s all-star team, using advocacy, communications and campaigns to help shape policies, advance causes and build movements. We primarily work in the areas of environment, health care and telecommunications. Our campaigns have been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, BBC, NPR, The Economist, The Guardian, Le Monde, Der Spiegel, and hundreds of others.