Waxman Strategies is recruiting a Director of Campaign Communications to guide the media relations, content development and other communications work for its Environment Team. Our environment team focuses on issues like protecting tropical rainforests, agricultural sustainability, and climate change. We are leaders in driving national and international media coverage of environmental issues. A major client of ours is Mighty Earth, which runs campaigns to stop deforestation, transform agriculture, and shift whole industries to 100% clean energy; other clients include Sierra Club, the Arcus Foundation, National Wildlife Federation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Rainforest Foundation Norway, and FoodShot.
Specific duties include:
- Media Relations & Event Execution: The Director of Campaign Communications will cultivate and manage relationships with domestic and international reporters, oversee and implement media relations pushes, prepare clients and other spokespeople for media interviews, and direct the media relations work of junior staff. They will also lead the execution of live campaign events aimed at securing media coverage, and work with Campaign Directors to design and plan other live events, e.g. grassroots actions. We have built a globally leading practice in driving international media coverage.
- Communications Planning & Message Development: The Director of Campaign Communications will work with Waxman’s Campaign Directors to develop comprehensive campaign communications plans and messages, as well as more specific communications tactics around campaign launches, report releases, rapid response and campaign branding/positioning.
- Writing & Design: The Director of Campaign Communications will write and edit a variety of communications materials, both internal and external, including press releases, reporter pitches, blog posts, talking points and campaign media plans. They will also work with Campaign Directors to guide the design and production of collateral materials and multimedia assets, including reports, videos, infographics, leave-behinds and live event props and related collateral.
- Team Management: The Director of Campaign Communications will serve as the manager for junior communications staff; work with Environment Team leaders to ensure that staff resources are allocated efficiently; and oversee the work of outside vendors and consultants.
The Director of Campaign Communications will report to the Managing Director. The position is located in Washington DC.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years of relevant professional media and communications experience, ideally within both the nonprofit and private sector, with campaign experience, existing relationships with US and international media, and/or a journalism background a plus;
- A strong foundation and interest in U.S. and global environmental, climate and energy issues;
- Ability to get up to speed quickly on complex issues and manage multiple simultaneous projects with many moving pieces;
- Excellent collaboration and independent-work skills, and experience managing a rapidly growing team in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to detail and a constant desire to excel;
- Facility synthesizing complex topics into engaging and creative communications;
- Experience working directly with clients; and
- Design and production (video, graphics, etc.) experience a plus.
Resumes and cover letters should be sent by email to email@example.com no later than 5pm Eastern on Friday, June 19, 2018, and are encouraged earlier.
Competitive and commensurate with experience; includes a generous benefits package.
Waxman Strategies is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law.
Generous benefits package.
About Waxman Strategies:
Waxman Strategies is a public interest policy, communications, and campaigns firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, named “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Obama. Now out of Congress, Henry heads Waxman’s all-star team, using advocacy, communications and campaigns to help shape policies, advance causes and build movements. We primarily work in the areas of environment, health care and telecommunications. Our campaigns have been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, BBC, NPR, The Economist, The Guardian, Le Monde, Der Spiegel, and hundreds of others.